Single dads have to deal with so many problems when raising their kids alone. They experience the same when it comes to vacationing with their kids.
The idea is to spend some quality time together as a family. While more and more vacation options are becoming available for single parents, you may still have to consider several things before you take the plunge.
Before you finalize a decision, be sure to keep the following things in mind.
- Consider traveling with people like you. It means that you can travel in a group of single dads. It is obvious to feel concerned about the fact that on your vacation, you will meet two-parent families that may make you and your children feel a bit out of place. Look for travel deals for single parents and you will be able to socialize with people like you.
- Look for special deals for single parents by hotels, resorts, and even cruises or try an individual itinerary to avoid paying a lot of money. Keep in mind that most resorts for kids are all-inclusive resorts, which means they have included food and activities in the price of the stay.
- Do not stay at a hotel; instead, consider a vacation rental to save money. You will also have more room than on a cruise ship or in a resort with a kitchen to cook your own food as per your child’s preferences.
- Do not forget to carry documentation to travel with your kids because child protection laws require you to have permission from other parent to travel with your little one. Consider having a notarized letter from your ex if you are divorced. Carrying a notarized letter for medical emergencies is also a good idea.
While there are so many things to consider before you decide to plan to a mini-vacation with your kids, you do not need to worry much when you select one of the following locations. You and your kids are going to have the time of your life while exploring all these locations. Here are some great picks:
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico Resort
It is possible to find a single-parent package to discover this breathtaking resort on the Puerto Vallarta coast of Mexico, where the white sand beaches, blue waters of Banderas Bay, and green fairways will captivate your senses. You will enjoy luxury suite accommodations with airport pickup service.
Your package may also include tickets to the Canopy Adventure Park Tour, where you and your kids will get a chance to explore the jungle in a safe yet exciting way. You will also get a chance to enjoy non-motorized water sports like kayaking, snorkeling, and much more.
The Ft. Lauderdale Marriot Harbor Beach Resort and Spa
This is one perfect place for you to have fun with your kids. It offers an impressive balance of kid-friendly fun and adult indulgences to keep everyone entertained. There is a Kid’s Surf Club adjacent to the splash pool, equipped with a custom-built surf simulator where your kids can hang ten before enjoying the South Florida waves. You can relax at the spa on the beach your kids can enjoy at the Surf Club, under supervision of experts.
Buck Valley Ranch, Pennsylvania
A visit to this place will let you and your kids get in touch with your inner cowboy/cowgirl. Located in the Appalachian Mountains of Pennsylvania’s Fulton County, this farm gives you the very best experience of horseback riding.
You will be staying in a 4-bedroom guesthouse decorated with cowboy memorabilia and antiques. You and your kids will also get a chance to enjoy healthy and hearty meals. You can also enjoy biking on the C&O Canal or enjoy kayaking in the Potomac River or go hiking as well.
The Inn at Laguna Beach
Not far from the kid-centric town of Laguna Beach, the property offers access to the main beach as well as activities near the ocean like paddle boarding, tide pooling, and sand castle building. Your kids will love every minute of their stay. It also has an amazing family friendly pool with ease of access.
You can take your kids with you and take a stroll through the streets of Laguna, which are brimming with shops, art galleries, restaurants, and so many other attractions.
Turnberry Isle, Miami
For kids ages 6-12, this will be a dream vacation. It features a 7,500 square-foot Laguna pool with a 35-foot high waterslide and a new range of activities called Kidz n’ Kitchenz. Your kids can also participate in hands-on cooking demonstrations to learn how bake cupcakes, make ice cream, and cook other stuff.
Classes usually focus on a “Healthy Happy Meal” with turkey meatloaf, turkey burgers, potatoes cut into strips, baked fingerling, and healthy fruit juices. Single dads can enjoy a Beach Bash with live entertainment, ocean, reefs, and wildlife exploration with an expert. It is a perfect place for kids and parents to spend some quality time together.
The aforementioned places are some perfect choices, but you can also find some other impressive mini-holiday destinations within the United States. Here are some nice suggestions:
- Sulphur Springs, Arkansas: Sulphur Springs in the Ozark Mountains offer stunning views and give you a chance to explore some hidden treasures, especially at the Old Spanish Treasure Cave where you can pan for crystals, gems, and fossils.
- Tulsa, Oklahoma: Perfectly located in the heart of Oklahoma, this is one perfect place for single-dads and kids to kick back and relax. Take your kids to the Tulsa Zoo or pay a visit to Living Museum. Go to Purple Glaze Studio and make your own mosaic or simply spend a day with your little ones by the water on some of the most beautiful river trails around.
- Duluth, Minnesota: It is an exciting and safe holiday destination for you and your kids where you can go camping without even having to go outside. Spend time at the Duluth Children’s Museum or spend some time by the Waterfront Sculpture Walk to check international art.
- Fairbanks, Alaska: This place is a wintery wonderland for dads and kids. Your kids can have a ball on a playground equipped with a frozen train, ice slides, and lighted sculptures. After all the fun, you can go to Chena Hot Springs Resort to relax.
- Sedona, Arizona: If you want to spend some quality time with your kids, this is the place to pick. Junior adventurers will find a lot to enjoy here. Pink Jeep Tours will take you through gulches, ruins, and ancient rock art and keep you entertained all the time. Hit the Slide Rock State Park with your kids and enjoy some stunning natural water slids.
- Starved Rock, Illinois: You cannot go wrong with this holiday destination. It is among the Seven Wonders of Illinois and offers a variety of outdoor activities, such as picnicking, fishing, and horseback riding.
- Cascade, Colorado: Known for its stunning waterfalls, it is a perfect place for single-dads to arrange a day trip with their kids. You can enjoy the waterfall at Heizer Trail or explore the Garden of the Gods on your horse. There is a Christmas themed amusement park and your kids will go crazy when they get a chance to meet Santa in his element.
- Dubuque, Iowa: This place offers some quirky attractions and stunning views. The old French settlement at Catfish Creek is among the best attractions. For stunning views, do not forget to rid the Fenelon Place elevator.
- New Orleans, Louisiana: Known for its uniquely French charm, there is something for everyone in the Big Easy. Hit the City Park and explore a fairytale themed park called Storyland where you kids can find huge sculptures of their favorite characters.
- Calistoga, California: If you and your kids love to spend time around water, come to Calistoga, CA. Hit the nearby Harbin Hot Springs and spend time in a naturally heated mineral-water pool. You can even rent a bike with toddler seats and explore the area at your own pace. The educational Safari West African Adventure tour will make your kids excited when they will get a chance to interact with gazelles, giraffes, zebras and other Serengeti animals.
- Chattanooga, Tennessee: Your kids will never forget this visit to the Tennessee Aquarium where there is everything from penguins to river otters and butterflies. If you don’t mind spending some money, take the opportunity to spend the night on the grounds.
It is true that there are so many other interesting options available for single dads to plan a perfect mini-vacation.
You may have your own preferences, but be sure to take some time when planning a trip. Just keep in mind that spending time with your kids is important but it becomes even more vital when you are a single dad and all your child has is you. So… happy journey!