Are you stressed out as a single father?
One of the best things you can do to keep healthy and sane is to start doing some physical activity. One activity that’s easy to get into as a single father is running. It’s free, it’s easy to start, and you can find anywhere from 20 minutes to 60 minutes at your convenience.
The Benefits of Running
Here’s why you should start running.
1. It’s FREE
If you want to join the gym, be prepared to pay anywhere from 30 to 100 bucks a month for a membership. This may be too expensive for those dads who are struggling to pay bills. But running, on the other hand, is free! The only ‘cost’ is a pair of running shoes, and you can find a cheap pair for under $30 bucks online if you look around.
2. It’s Easy to Start Running
Another reason why you might want to start running is that it’s very easy to start. You simply find a location with a long unbroken area to run without stopping. Then you start running. Now, if you are not used to running, there is a break in period as your body starts to get used to running.
But you certainly don’t have to go from zero to hero. You can start off with 5 or 10 minute running stretches and move the running times up by 5 minutes every week. If you run 2-3 times a week, and move your running times by 5 minutes each week, and you start off at 10 minutes — you can be running 3o minute sessions in 4 weeks only! In 3 months, you can easily be running for an hour or longer.
The bottom line is that running is easy to see improvements with, if you are willing to put in the time.
3. It’s convenient
If you are working a full time job and caring for the kids after this, running is easy to schedule in your free time. Run in the early morning before work and before the kids are up. Or run after work as your time allows. Or run late at night after the kids are put to bed.
You simply need 20 minutes to an hour of free time.
4. It helps you feel great
Running helps release those endorphin’s — the body’s natural mood enhancing hormone that will boost your mood. Suffer from depression or stress. RUN. Have anxiety? RUN. The bottom line is that if you start running a few times a week, you’ll be a much happier person. And this will translate into being a better father and happier around your kids.
5. You become a better single parent
Running helps remove a lot of the stress of being a single father. You’ll still face the same issues, but you’ll be stronger emotionally and more relaxed. This makes you better able to handle the struggles of single parenthood.
6. You get fit
There are a host of benefits to excising a few times a week. And running is a great exercise. You improve your heart health, you burn calories, you can lose weight, you can reduce blood pressure, you can eliminate type 2 diabetes, and a lot more. Taking up exercise is one of the best things you can do to improve your health.
For more about the benefits of running, read this article.
How to Choose a Pair of Running Shoes
Before you begin running, you’ll need a pair of running shoes. You’ll need to
- Find out what type of foot you have and select the right shoe for your foot type. There are three types: overpronation, underpronation, and neutral. You’ll want to pick a running shoe that matches your foot type. If you don’t pick the right shoe, you could end up with serious foot pain or develop a painful plantar fasciitis condition.
- Test a pair of shoes out in person. I highly recommend you go to a store in person and put your shoes on to test how they fit. You can order online if you wish to save money, but PUT the shoes on FIRST before you order one.
- Start of slowly in your shoes. There may be a break in period with the shoes and your feet. I find it takes me about a week of running in a pair of shoes before any chafing or discomfort goes away.
- Cheaper is not always better, but expensive is not always the best either. Shoes, regardless of price, should match your foot type and feel comfortable
- Make sure the shoes FIT. You don’t want shoes that are too tight or too big. A good 1/4 of an inch bigger than your big toe is usually about the right size shoe for your foot.
You can go here to get some tips on how to find the best shoes for running shoes for your feet.
If You Have Existing Foot Pain…PICK THE RIGHT SHOES
If you suffer from foot pain before you start running, you’ll need to get a pair of running shoes that offer support for your heel. If you have foot pain in the heel area and the pain comes in spiking waves (especially in the morning), it’s likely Plantar Fasciitis you suffer from. If you have plantar fasciitis, you can still run, but you’ll need to be very careful and find the right sort of shoes.
These shoes need to have strong heel support and motion control, or you’r condition will worsen. You can check this page which gives a good lists of the best shoes for plantar fasciitis.
The Final Word
Running is one of the best ways to improve your mood, get fit on the cheap, and handle the stress of single parent hood. Because running helps you feel better, you’ll handle stress better and you’ll be a better father to your kids.
Don’t believe me? Try running for 2 weeks and see how your life improves.
It may be the best thing you’ve ever done!